Finally gave up and did a GPU Pre-Order

Can't see anything without one
Vinster
Site Admin

Finally gave up and did a GPU Pre-Order

Unread post by Vinster »

I was sure that I was going to get lucky and get a 3080... I was really lucky last November and got my C8H and 5800x... (Build here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=121&start=10)but I was playing the online lottery for a GPU. Granted I waited until late Jan for the announcement for the 3080Ti... but then when that was canned I started tracking the Discord bot servers for drops and was hoping to get lucky...

I finally gave in tonight and and pre-paid for a Asus Strix 3080... Now that I know what card I'll have, I'll order the EKWB WB to go with it... hope to get in under 2 months if the stars align...

Anyone else here done a pre-order?

Vin

element6

Re: Finally gave up and did a GPU Pre-Order

Unread post by element6 »

No preorders. I still scrape the bottom of the bargain bins. I am excited to hear about its performance when you get it running.

Vinster
Site Admin

Unread post by Vinster »

element6 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:54 am
No preorders. I still scrape the bottom of the bargain bins. I am excited to hear about its performance when you get it running.
Will do. I can't wait to try it. I could had gotten the ones with WB's, but I wanted the air coolers as well for re-sale and re-rigging. not all rigs have water so it would be nice to re-install the air cooler when I upgrade in 3 years...

I also jumped in the EVGA Notify pool for an XC3 Ultra, EK has blocks for either of them... now I'm undecided if I will keep both or sell one of them. I plan to bin both of them and keep the one that clock higher if I do sell.

Vin

etjusticepourtous

Unread post by etjusticepourtous »

Where did you preorder from? I think there's a best buy drop tomorrow but thats the only place outside of the newegg shuffle were Ive seen you can actually get cards.

Vinster
Site Admin

Unread post by Vinster »

etjusticepourtous wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:20 am
Where did you preorder from? I think there's a best buy drop tomorrow but thats the only place outside of the newegg shuffle were Ive seen you can actually get cards.
I went to Canada Computers and had to pay in full and now just wait a queue. Secondly I'm registered with EVGA and opted in to their "Notify Me" queue. Apparently when you name comes up there they send you an email with a link and you have 8 hours to buy or they push to the next guy and bump you out of queue.

How do you know about a BB drop today? Do you have any other info?

Vin

etjusticepourtous

Unread post by etjusticepourtous »

I've been using this guide for tracking cards. Managed to get a 3090 a few weeks back but really hoping to get a 3080. The drop last week must have been really small as only a few people were able to get cards. I had one in my cart but never got to check out. The 6700XT drop today was also pretty small.

I signed up late for the EVGA notifications so I doubt I'll hear anything any time soon. There's people in queue since October of last year.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comment ... a_edition/

I usually hang out in the twitch channel while I go about my work day. They have audio alerts and the guy that runs it goes on stream to notify of any other drops. BB does a drop every two weeks on average so there should be a drop next week.

Vinster
Site Admin

Unread post by Vinster »

Ah, ya, I saw that one. I'm on a canadian Discord group and it's been good. I messed up the drop last week and couldn't sign in to my BB account and the 3080 I had in my cart I lost. That sign-in issue is fixed and I have all my payment shit already entered so I won't be messing that up again...

I'm on the ready...

the 6700xt launch is a joke.. and the canadian cost is a complete rip-off.. newegg wants $1200 for that card... it's got a $479 USD MSRP... why is it double here? and it performs close to a 3060Ti... again $650-$800 CAD card...

what the hell is going on?

I've thought about pulling the trigger on a 3090.. I've had a few chances but didn't.. I don't need that much card for what I do and my 1080Ti has kept me comfortably over 60fps and that's the reason I just didn't.. but I came close a few times...

I''m hungry for a 3080... and if I'm lucky on a BB drop. I'll think I'll sell my Strix 3080 and the EVGA XC3 3080 (if this one ever comes) to someone I know that's still looking for what I paid. I don't agree with the scalpers and I refuse to be one.

Vin