Discussing builds and suggestions for upgrading hardware

Working on something, Need advice... Post that here and we can help.
Komadyret

Discussing builds and suggestions for upgrading hardware

Unread post by Komadyret »

On topic/off topic.
I was thinking, didn't the old board have a section for asking advice and discussing builds?
Maybe there is one here too, and I just manage to overlook it?

My oldest are turning 15 this autumn, and we're looking to purchase a nice upgrade for him sometime during the summer.
Right now he's gaming hard on this hardware, from the top of my head:
I5 4460 CPU
B85M mainboard
16GB DDR3 RAM
ancient 750W PSU (10 + years old, one of those I had when I used to let the smoke out of the hardware)
GTX 1660 Super
Decent 27" 144Hz monitor

Being an avid gamer, he's starting to get the interest for matching good hardware to accommodate semi-competitive gaming. He's playing for third-tier teams in Rocketleague in both Norwegian and Swedish league at the moment, and looking good for promotion to tier two in both leagues :lol:
And of course spending way too much time honing skills in counterstrike....
Should've made him spend equal time outside that he spends in his teenager-cave gaming :roll:

Everything are due for an upgrade (according to him, and I can't disagree :lol: ) except the monitor and the GTX.
I have noticed talk of Comet Lake hitting the shelves during Q1 and Q2, and that may be a good target for the CPU...

But anyway, what I was asking was; is there a dedicated place we can ask advice and discuss around builds, or should we just use the already existing hardware-areas?

K

CaNNon
Site Admin

Re: Discussing builds and suggestions for upgrading hardware

Unread post by CaNNon »

I'm OK with wherever you want, but if you'd like I'm sure we could do some kind of a forum. I think we just had a build tread in the old site but I'm not 100% sure.

Vinster
Site Admin

Unread post by Vinster »

We had a General Tech Talk (confirmed in the Wayback)

I've added a section in the Post your Rig Section... Might Flip/Flop those sections around later.

Code: Select all

Board index > Starting Point > Post your Rig > Planning a Build?
But there is a spot now.

Vin

Vinster
Site Admin

Unread post by Vinster »

and talking about HW, the new AMD 4000 mobile hardware is dominating both single and multi-threaded applications over anything Intel. I've been planning an upgrade and was planing on a Ryzen 3700 or 3800... but now might wait a touch for the 4000 desktop variant to come out first..

Vin

CaNNon
Site Admin

Unread post by CaNNon »

Yea, I remember that but I like what you did better.

Komadyret

Vinster wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:58 pm
and talking about HW, the new AMD 4000 mobile hardware is dominating both single and multi-threaded applications over anything Intel. I've been planning an upgrade and was planing on a Ryzen 3700 or 3800... but now might wait a touch for the 4000 desktop variant to come out first..

Vin
Yeah, caught a writeup on the 4000 mobile today. That looks somewhat amazing. and then there are rumors of some tangible increase in performance in next-gen intels too. Surely we've hit some interesting times. If red and blue are going virtually head to head in consumer-market performance-chips we might be up for a price-war we haven't seen since the turn of the milennia :D

And Vin, please move this thread over to the area you created. It'll fit better there.

K

Vinster
Site Admin

Unread post by Vinster »

Komadyret wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:22 pm
And Vin, please move this thread over to the area you created. It'll fit better there.
Done deal ;)

CaNNon
Site Admin

Unread post by CaNNon »

Komadyret wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:22 pm
Vinster wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:58 pm

Vin
Yeah, caught a writeup on the 4000 mobile today. That looks somewhat amazing. and then there are rumors of some tangible increase in performance in next-gen intels too. Surely we've hit some interesting times. If red and blue are going virtually head to head in consumer-market performance-chips we might be up for a price-war we haven't seen since the turn of the milennia :D

K
High end laptops won't get that as fast as you would think due to the way they are planned in advance, but AMD should be pretty quick getting the desktop stuff out if they want to cash in before Intel smartens up on pricing.

Komadyret

Looks like we'll see the 4000 from AMD late in 3rd quarter... Not sure if the kid wants to wait that long.
Comet Lake are still rumoured for May release...

CaNNon
Site Admin

Unread post by CaNNon »

The big take away on that AMD is the wattage, for a guy watching the battery on a laptop that chip is going to be king!
In a box, your doing your own cooling and plugged in so not so big an issue burning some extra power and doing some cooling.

Have you looked into what the existing motherboard supports chip wise? Maybe a compromise until the new tec gets rolled out and better reviewed.
What were looking at now info wise is not the kind thing I'd try the take to the bank. :lol:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 0-ghz.html

Looks like he has some space for something like this to, and the drive/s could be carried forward later.
https://www.amazon.com/Supermicro-AOC-S ... 84&sr=8-16
I've no experience with that card, I just picked a mid range example.