What the Actual F***... Bacteria in a Glycol Loop

Working on something, Need advice... Post that here and we can help.
Vinster
Site Admin

What the Actual F***... Bacteria in a Glycol Loop

Unread post by Vinster »

So I've migrated over to my 5800x custom cooled rig for about 2 months now. That means that my 1700x rig has been sitting powered off since... I went to power it on last night and noticed this... and happy I did... I did not power it on...

20210526_142527 (Large).jpg
20210526_142527 (Large).jpg (306.69 KiB) Viewed 21280 times
20210526_142612 (Large).jpg
20210526_142612 (Large).jpg (251.07 KiB) Viewed 21280 times

you can see from the second picture what the colour is supposed to be. I've never had an issue with this 10:1 glycol mix. but I've also never had a rig off this long... Now I saw something similar in my 5800x glycol mixed fluid (same mix). but I attributed that to the temperature probe and "possible" differential metals (though it's coated like all the other fittings) as it was only at that probe/fitting.

I might be going with a purchased mix going forward...

I went this route for chem because the 15% Antifreeze mix I used to use was fine, but I noticed that it was breaking down the plastic fluid disbursement plate within my EK CPU water block, this was after over 2 years of use. So Glycol being a little less abrasive, I thought this to be a safer route on plastics...

all I can think of is that the glycol somehow "separated" and caused this?

Thoughts and looking for input...

I might go pre-bottled fluid after this... though the cost is going to suck...

Vin

element6

Re: What the Actual F***... Bacteria in a Glycol Loop

Unread post by element6 »

Hey Vin. What a mess!

My first thought is ethylene glycol compatibility with aluminum and copper. You may consider switching to a more aluminum compatible chemical.

But that doesn't explain your sludge. I'm not sure what is going on.

Vinster
Site Admin

Unread post by Vinster »

block and rad are copper, res is plastic and glass with a SS internal grill. The fittings are all black anodized aluminum. Can't really get copper fittings.

in another forum I frequent they suggest plasticizer from the tubing, could be. I've never seen it in person. the sludge has no smell and took 2-3 years to form and didn't until the PC was off for 2 months... I'm at a loss.

where I clean the tubing is staying cloudy... so it could be... I don't care. I'll see if I can clean it out. I'm wondering about the rad. I replaced my previous one that I bought from a member here back in like 2011/2012 along with a massive res.....

Vin

Mr-Scott

Unread post by Mr-Scott »

Plasticizer. I concur with your other forum. :mrgreen:
Loved by thousands, hated by millions.