Suggested cooling for the new Intel's

Intel CPU and Motherboard Related Items
Komadyret

Suggested cooling for the new Intel's

Unread post by Komadyret »

Hello again.

The kid finally got around to do some window-shopping for his upgrade.
He did come up with some AIO watercooling systems. This is an area I'm not very familiar with.
My question on that, which did not turn up with an immediate obvious answer from google; How will a CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT hold up with a 125W TDP CPU underneath it? He's looking very hard at that i5 10600K cpu now, as he's beginning to think the AMD 4k-series is a bit far down the road (youthfull impatience :lol: ).
Do not count on any hard overclocking taking place, but it will take a serious load much of the time.

His preliminary shoppinglist:
Gigabyte Z490 Aoruse elite AC mainboard
Intel i5 10600K cpu
Corsair iCue H100i Pro XT AIO cooler
HyperX Fury DDR4 3600MHz CL17 16GB (kit of 2x8GB) RAM
Corsair RM850X PSU.

He'll hold on to the case, the 1GB SSD and the GTX 1660 Super GPU for now.

Mr-Scott

Re: Suggested cooling for the new Intel's

Unread post by Mr-Scott »

It'll do as well as any other 240 AIO.
Still better than anything stock.
Loved by thousands, hated by millions.

Komadyret

Looks like stock ain't an option for the Comet Lake CPUs anyway. Listed as w/o heatsink in the store.
I guess he's on to something useful for a decent gaming setup. We'll do some more windowshopping before pulling the plug on anything.

Thanks.

Vinster
Site Admin

Unread post by Vinster »

I'm with Scott, any 240 AIO will be OK, going with a name brand should be OK.

Now there is a debate online on the 10th gen being worth upgrading to over 9th gen. There isn't any notable upgrades to this CPU and the same can be said for the 8th gen to the 9th gen. It's all the same die set. Intel's Tic-Toc upgrade patern hasn't had a Toc upgrade in years now... so anything 8th gen or newer is just a timeline upgrade based on production date. I'd think that MB manufacturers have done more for those platforms than Intel has.

if he can wait, I'd recommend holding on for AMD's 4xxx CPU's. I was planing a BIG upgrade this yea and and holding off because of the 4xxx Mobile's are killing it right now and Intel are so far behind it's sad (and almost funny) to see...

Vin

Komadyret

I ceratinly agree.
It's just the wait that is bugging him right now :lol:
And he's on Gen 4 with the i5 4460, so it sure will be an upgrade anyway.
But he's also experiencing decision aversion, so who knows, he may postpone pulling the string and ordering long enough to seeing the 4xxx-series in the horizonth anyways :roll: :lol:

I'm just kkeping the shoppingcart stored for him, and constantly urging him to do some more windows-shopping and investigation on his own. Will be fun to see where this lands eventually.

Vinster
Site Admin

Unread post by Vinster »

Keep us in the loop.

I just picked up another 1080Ti to SLI with my existing one in hopes that it will carry me to later this year...

Vin